In my previous post here I had gone through how to verify the prerequisites for integration of Veritas Netbackup to protect Nutanix AHV. In this blog i will go through the policy configuration and backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
- Create a new policy and specify name of the policy
- On the attributes tab select “BigData” as Policy Type and use your Policy Storage.
- On Schedule tab create a new schedule for backups using required frequency setting or calendar schedule and backup windows.
- On next Clients tab specify the AHV Virtual Machine names you need to protect. NOTE: The VM names are case-sensitive, I would recommend to copy and paste the client names from Prism interface. NOTE: The client operating system is NOT automatically detected.
- The most important configuration is on “Backup Selection” tab. Add the below as
- Backup_Host=<hostname of your backup host>
- Application_Server=<ip address or fqdn of Nutanix cluster>
- Save the policy by click OK
At this point you are ready to test your Nutanix AHV policy. Right click the policy you created and click “Manual Backup” and click OK
Go to Activity Monitor and the policy process, you can also see in Prism snapshot creation task before backup has started and snapshot deletion when backup finished.
Looking at the backup speed I was really impressed, while I was uploading the above image the backup was already finished. In order to verify the speed I did run a full backup of a VM having 50Gb of data and was completed in ~8 minutes and consecutive backups in ~3 minutes. NOTE: Although statistics may vary based on real environment.
In continuation next post here I will cover how to restore the VM to Nutanix Cluster.